Last year the government announced that they will abolish tax discs, remove restrictions on Statutory Off Road Notifications (SORNs) and rebrand the DSA. All of these changes have resulted in updates to the driving theory test. Learn more about these changes and how they might affect you.

Tax discs - what’s changing?

taxdisc Tax discs have been abolished.

Mastering the art of tearing the perforations a tax disc has been a rite of passage for motorists for over 93 years. Now everything is going digital. From the 1st October 2014, you won’t need to show a paper disc anymore - instead all your road tax details will be managed online.

SORNs - what are they and what’s changing?

A Statutory Off-Road Notification tells the government that your car is not being used on public roads. Once the notification has been made, your car does not need to be taxed or insured. Previously when you who made a SORN you had to renew it every year. However, as of 16 December 2013, a SORN is valid until the vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.

DSA rebranding

The government also announced in November 2013 that they will rebrand the DSA as the DVSA. The deadline for completing the full rebrand is 1 April 2014 but the agency will gradually start using the new name ahead of the announcement.  The rules of the road are always changing which is why it’s always important to make sure you study using the latest materials.  If you want to keep up to date, sign in to Theory Test Pro.

DSA revision question bank changes (from January 2014)

Revision questions removed

Four questions are being completely removed they are:

A Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) is valid for as long as the vehicle has an MOT for 12 months only only if the vehicle is more than 3 years old provided the vehicle is insured

A Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) will last for the life of the vehicle for as long as you own the vehicle for 12 months only until the vehicle warranty expires

When you apply to renew your vehicle excise licence (tax disc) what must you have? Valid insurance The old tax disc The vehicle handbook A valid driving licence

and this one which only applies to motorcycle theory

Vehicle excise duty is often called ‘Road Tax’ or ‘The Tax Disc’. You must keep it with your registration document display it clearly on your motorcycle keep it concealed safely in your motorcycle carry it on you at all times

Changes for car theory revision

For how long is a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) valid? Mark one answer Until the vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped. Until the vehicle is insured and MOT’d. Until the vehicle is repaired  or modified. Until the vehicle is used on the road. a

What is a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN)? Mark one answer A notification to tell DVSA that a vehicle does not have a current mot. Information kept by the police about the owner of the vehicle . A notification to tell DVLA that a vehicle is not being used on the road. Information held by insurance companies to check the vehicle is insured . c

What does a Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) tell DVLA? Mark one answer That your vehicle is being used on the road but the mot has expired. That you no longer own the vehicle. That your vehicle is not being used on the road. That you are buying a personal number plate. c

Motorway emergency telephones connect to the police or which other organisation? Mark one answer The Highways Agency. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency. The Driving and Vehicle Standards Agency. The local Vehicle Registration Office. a

Your vehicle must have valid insurance cover before you can do what? Mark one answer Make a SORN declaration. Sell the vehicle. Scrap the vehicle. Obtain a tax disc. d

You have just passed your test. How can you reduce your risk of being involved in a collision? Mark one answer By always staying close to the vehicle in front. By never going over 40 mph. By staying only in the left-hand lane on all roads. By taking further training. d

Which of these is needed before you can use a vehicle on the road legally? Mark one answer A valid driving licence. Breakdown cover. Proof of your identity. A vehicle handbook. a

What must you have when you apply to renew your vehicle excise licence? Mark one answer Valid insurance. The chassis number. The handbook. A valid driving licence. a

Your vehicle needs a current MOT certificate. Until you have one you will NOT be able to Mark one answer Renew your driving licence. Change your insurance company. Renew your road tax. Notify a change of address. c

Changes for motorcycle theory revision

How should you gain basic skills in motorcycle riding? Mark one answer Practise off-road with an approved training body. Ride on the road on the first dry day. Practise off-road in a public park or in a quiet cul-de-sac. Ride on the road as soon as possible. a

What are the minimum test vehicle requirements for a motorcycle used to obtain the full category ‘A’ licence through the accelerated or direct access scheme? Mark one answer Solo with maximum power of at least 25 kw (33 bhp). Solo with maximum power of at least 11 kw (14.6 bhp). Fitted with a sidecar and have maximum power of at least 35 kw (46.6 bhp). Solo with a maximum power of at least 40 kw (53.6 bhp). d

Who can carry out Compulsory Basic Training (CBT)? Mark one answer Any ADI (Approved Driving Instructor) . Any road safety officer. Any DVSA (Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency) approved training body. Any motorcycle main dealer. c

Your road tax is due to expire. To renew it you may need a renewal form, the fee, and valid MOT (if required). What else will you need? Mark one answer Proof of purchase receipt Compulsory Basic Training certificate A valid certificate of insurance A complete service record c

A motorcycle MUST have its first MOT test when it is how old? Mark one answer One year old. Three years old. Five years old. Seven years old. b

To improve your chances of passing the theory test we would encourage you to learn and understand all of the relevant topics and keep up to date with changes in the law.